What to Expect When Submitting Your First SEND Dataset to the FDA
With the December 17, 2016* requirement for the FDA Standard for the Exchange of Nonclinical Data (SEND*) fast-approaching, our Covance SEND action team prepared a dataset for test submission to the FDA. This helped us to better understand the FDA’s SEND submission requirements, build experience and confirm our readiness to help clients submit their SEND datasets.
During this process, we uncovered a couple of significant learnings:
- Allow for adequate time to prepare and submit to the FDA
- The process to deliver our first test submission took more than two months from kickoff to FDA notification
- It’s important to start early to understand the preparation time needed for submissions
- For test submissions only, the dataset must be submitted on a physical CD and sent to the FDA via postal mail
- This came as a surprise to us, since SEND is a streamlined electronic format of the data
- (Note: In a real submission, the SEND datasets will appear in a specific location labeled “tabulations” in the submission folder structure as described in section 7 of the FDA CDER/CBER Study Data Technical Conformance Guide).